London Olympics 2012
- The official website of the London Olympics.
- The games will be held from 27 July to 12 August 2012.
- 205 nations are expected to take part in 300 events at the Olympic Games in 2012.
- The official mascot is 'Wenlock'.
- London has previously hosted the Olympic games in 1908 and 1948.
Originally, the ancient Olympic Games were held in Olympia, Greece, from the 8th century BC to the 4th century AD. The International Olympic Committee (IOC) was founded in 1894 and the first Games was hosted in Athens, Greece in 1896.
These are five interlocking rings that stand for the five parts of the world (Africa, America, Asia, Australia, and Europe) and the athletes that represent countries from these regions. The colours of the rings are blue, yellow, black, green, and red respectively. They were chosen because at least one of these colours is found on the flag of every nation.
The motto of the Olympic Games is "Faster, Higher, Stronger". These three words encourage the athlete to give his or her best during competition, and to view this effort as a victory in itself.